Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fur Rondy!

This week I am in Anchorage with Oliver while he is working on his condo construction project. We drove down on Sunday in our new car, which we bought minutes before we hit the road. More on that and pictures of it later. The main reason we had to hurry hurry hurry to Anchorage was to catch the last of the Fur Rendezvous festival! We missed the fireworks sadly and didn’t get to the blanket toss in time, but we did get to go to the best part (in my opinion)…. The carnival!

Since Oliver spends the summer at the lodge each year, I’ve been feeling like the two of us would never get to experience the fun of a fair together, which is one of my favorite things in the whole world. Luckily for us, in Alaska they have Fur Rondy in the winter, no matter the weather! The carnival was downtown in a parking lot, and we rode a couple rides and ate corndogs, hamburgers, fries, and funnel cakes! Oliver wanted to make sure we got the whole fair experience. :)

It was the first carnival I’ve ever been to that I wore a scarf to! We ate our food in a warming hut, and froze our fingers and butts off riding the rides. The highlight was getting initiated to the Alaskan “squirrel cages”, which are a rickety, duct-taped together version of the zipper. The carnie had a difficult time balancing the ride just right so that it would actually go! That was great. It was also fun to see all the little kids bundled up against the weather. And lots of people in crazy animal hats!

We were in such a hurry to take it all in; I didn’t even bring my camera for pictures. So you’ll have to make do with some from the internet I snitched. The ride below middle is the squirrel cages! The rest of this week has been fun, staying with Oliver’s aunt and uncle, Craig and Gail. I’ll try to update this weekend with more pictures…. I’m quite behind!





~Danielle

0 comments: