Thursday, September 18, 2008

Welcome to the Shack in the Back!

So it really seems overdue for me to post some pictures of the lovely Shack in the Back, or as Joanne and David call it, the Moose Lodge (because of the stack of moose antlers piled behind it). Following that line of thought, we might as well call it the Motor Inn as well! The outside might look a little "Arkansas" as Oliver likes to put it, but inside it's just perfect. It was just an old shed when he started work on it, and since then it has grown windows and electricity and insulated walls! The squirrels are doing their best to reclaim the attic, and I am at war with myself over what to do about that. They are pulling down all the insulation and dropping pinecones in my bed at night and chewing in the walls by my bed and giving me nightmares, and yet... I really don't want to shoot them. Hmmm. More on that dilema later.

For now, here are some badly lit photos of our little cabin!




The path to our little place

Our porch! Note the old washer/wringer to the left, as well as the moose antlers and motors and my lovely bay window! There are many more decorative antlers and motors to the right, but they have been cropped out for your pleasure. However, I included the chunk of insulation to the right of the photo.

Upon entering, this is what you would see. The next photos move to the left, in a circle. Directly ahead is our dresser and mirror, and to the left is our "closet" complete with turquoise feather boa. Everything in the cabin has been salvaged or "borrowed" from elsewhere in camp.


Raised bed (with a real mattress!) Note my boots to the left, handy for nightime bathroom jaunts to the trees out back :).

Yes, it is true, we even have a couch! And a second window. And a table and chairs. We are very classy out here in the bush. Also some shelves and Oliver's guitar.

Curtesy of the remodel of some guest cabins, we even have a little kitchen area. The stove doesn't have propane, but looks nice, and the sink doesn't have water, but the little igloo jug works great for teeth brushing. We even have a little native art on the wall. Note: the floor is the color I love everything in!

So that's that. Hope that gives a little better idea of where I'm staying. It's really nice because we are a ways away from the main lodge and all it's noisey guests. However, it is getting very cold at night now and freezing our water etc. We will have to move to the lodge soon since we have no heat out here. But I think we will tough it out as long as we can!

`Danielle

0 comments: